Burney Institute

The Burney Institute was authorized to be built by the Chickasaw Council in 1854 as a girls’ school. It later became an orphanage for the Nation's children. In 1914, the building was sold to a private owner and for ninety years was used as a hay barn. barn until it was transferred back to the Chickasaw Nation. 

After the transfer, PandDStudio worked as part of the restoration design team to document the history, the condition, and the original design of the building. The Chickasaw Nation then moved forward with restoration of the exterior envelope, stabilizing the interior, and bringing back the look and feel of the 19th-century classrooms.

LOCATION: Lebanon, OK

STATUS: Completed

CLIENT: The Chickasaw Nation

© 2020 by Preservation and Design Studio, PLLC.     All Rights Reserved