Built around 1927, the Chieftain Pontiac Building is a brick clad, concrete structure in the 20th century commercial style. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a contributing resource to the Automobile Alley Historic District. Historical tenants included 3 different automobile dealerships between 1927 and 1933. Then Chieftain Pontiac moved in and remained until the mid-1950s. The building retains brickwork, cast stone details, windows, and interiors typical of the historic district. At about 20,000 square feet on two stories, the building retains a concrete car ramp to the second story.
The Pontiac was one of 11 buildings in and around the Automobile Alley Historic District that were rehabilitated and adapted to new uses between 2008 and 2017 for which PandDStudio provided a variety of services such as National Register nominations, historical research, existing conditions drawings, design and preservation consulting, and historic preservation tax credits application management. Uses for the completed project include retail and office. The project was awarded the State Historic Preservation Officer's Citation of Merit.
LOCATION: Oklahoma City, OK
CLIENT: Midtown Renaissance